The legal bit…

Waste Disposal Paperwork

The production is responsible for the collation & accuracy of all information produced about waste. Pin

Check that the transfer documentation of the waste contractor includes:

  • Description of the waste, including the relevant European 6 digit Waste Code
  • Volume or weight of waste and how it is contained
  • Dated signature of someone from your production responsible for the waste
  • Name and signature of the waste contractor representative
  • Date and time of collection
  • The vehicle registration
  • Waste carrier’s registration number
  • Disposal/treatment facility to which waste is destined and site Permit number
  • Keep Waste Transfer Notes on file for a minimum of 2yrs (double-check procedure for one-off shows).
  • Keep Hazardous Waste Consignment Notes on file for a minimum of 3yrs.

Applicable to:

Waste Management

Do the right thing with your waste… Pin

Your production must

  • First consider the waste hierarchy: REDUCE, REUSE and then RECYCLE.

  • Keep your site secure (e.g. to prevent fly tipping or vandalism).

  • Do not burn waste on site or within containers.

  • Ensure everyone on site (e.g. Caterers, Construction, Props, Facilities, etc.) is aware of how and where to dispose of their waste.

Applicable to:

Pick the right contractor… Pin

When hiring a Waste Contractor, make sure that they have the following documentation;

  • Waste Carriers Registration Certificate: Aka Waste Carriers Licence or Brokers Licence. Check that your contractor is registered with the Environment Agency (EA) or Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) or Northern Ireland Environment and Heritage Service (NIEHS).

  • Environmental Permit: The recycling facility/energy recovery facility/landfill site (worst case scenario), where your contractor is taking your waste must have a valid Environmental Permit (or exemption) for the relevant waste stream. (This license is also known as a Waste Management License). Your recycling/disposal site must be correctly licensed by the EA/SEPA/NIEHS.

  • Waste Transfer Notes and/or Waste Consignment Notes: Your waste contractor must complete suitable Waste Transfer Notes and/or Waste Consignment Notes accurately for each collection.

  • Commitment to Recycling Waste Streams: Your waste contractor must be able to demonstrate a commitment to recycling and should report volumes and weights of waste recycled and waste disposed of to landfill.

Applicable to:

Store waste correctly… Pin

  • Segregate all wastes appropriately - hazardous, non-hazardous, electrical and electronic equipment etc.
  • Store all wastes in designated and contained areas, and away from sensitive areas i.e. neighbouring properties, drains, water courses and wildlife sites.
  • Use drip trays for liquid waste and place spill kits near by.
  • Store wastes in appropriate, weather proof containers.
  • Ensure all skips/containers are clearly labelled to describe contents.
  • Regularly check waste is contained and not causing litter or leaking.
  • Ensure contractors replace damaged waste containers.
  • Inspect regularly

Applicable to:

Down the drain..? Pin

You have a legal responsibility to dispose of all liquid waste products responsibly. This includes paints, thinners, some cleaning products, any liquid SFX run-off.

You will need to arrange for a special collection of hazardous waste.

Empty containers can be recycled.

Applicable to:

You must deal with hazardous waste effectively… Pin

A Hazardous waste is waste that poses substantial or potential threats to public health or the environment.

Hazardous waste (HW) regulations are strict for obvious reasons and all HW must be disposed of responsibly. There is detailed guidance available online which breaks down exactly how the Hazardous Material classification is assigned. Available, here.

More generally if there is a bright warning symbol on the substance such as those below, or if there is a letter marked on the container which corresponds to one in the table below, you have a Hazardous Material. If you suspect you may have a hazardous material but cannot find guidance, always err on the side of caution.

Categories of hazardous waste are Explosive, Oxidising, Extremely Flammable, Highly Flammable, Flammable, Irritant, Harmful, Toxic, Very toxic, Carcinogenic, Corrosive, Toxic for reproduction, Mutagenic, Sensitising or Dangerous for the Environment

Liquids (construction, catering, gennies…)

Your gennie must be well behaved… Pin

You have a legal responsibility with regard to:

  • Noise level of the generator
  • Storage of oil for the generator
  • Ensuring there is no liquid run off during refuelling or through leakage.

Applicable to:

Disposing of waste vegetable oil Pin

You have a legal responsibility to dispose of your waste oils in a responsible manner. If you are found to be pouring it down the drains or selling it on to a dodgy third party you are committing a crime. Luckily, Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) is a useful and valuable substance and there are companies who will take it off your hands for free, and hand over the relevant paper work (make sure that they do!).

Your WVO is valuable biodiesel. It has already fulfilled its main purpose in the deep fryer, so burning it again as a fuel is an environmentally beneficial use. Virgin oils, where crops are grown intentionally for use as biodiesel, are not environmentally beneficial. Edible crops are diverted away from feeding people and livestock and there are often socio-economic or ethical issues surrounding the acquisition and management of the arable land they are grown on. In fact, the UK burns enough food as fuel to feed 10 million people every year. So the more we close the loop and promote WVO as a biodiesel fuel, the lower the demand to burn edible crops for fuel.

Applicable to:

Special Sites

Sites of Special Scientific Interest, National Nature Reserves, Special Area of Conservation and Special Protection Areas. Pin

If your location has a SSSI/NNR/SPC/SPA classification, you must engage a specialist to survey, monitor and carry out works and make sure everyone is aware of the sensitive environment.

You must follow procedures to make sure that you respect the integrity of the area and do not disturb the natural environment. If your activities cause any damage to the area, which you had not already planned with the landowner, you could face prosecution. The landowner will be aware of a SSSI classification if it exists on their land and should be able to outline the restrictions. However, if you are not sure, it’s very easy to check on the Natural England SSSI database, here.

If your site is a SSSI, first of all identify which species exist in your site, (using Natural England’s Database), then seek advice on how to minimise disruption to each of these species. Natural England will provide information specific to your SSSI which should contain some suggested management practices and tips on how to maintain your site’s special features.

Applicable to:


Non-Financial Reporting Pin

EU legislation for reporting of non-financial data now requires large companies with more than 500 employees to report on; policies, risks and outcomes as regards environmental matters, social and employee-related aspects, respect for human rights, anti-corruption and bribery issues, and diversity in their board of directors.

Requirements for narrative reporting in the UK came into effect at the end of 2013 for companies with financial years ending on or after 30 September 2013. The rules state that companies need to prepare a strategic report that requires board approval.

Counting and reporting carbon. Pin

Quoted companies (those with stocks listed for public trading) must publish annual greenhouse gas emissions in their annual report. More information here.

N.B. albert the carbon calculator is a tool to measure the specific footprint media production, not the total carbon footprint of an organisation

Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) Pin

UK Government legislation now requires business with either 250 employees or an annual turnover greater than £35 million to complete the energy saving opportunities scheme.

The scheme requires business to

1) Calculate total energy consumption and identify significant energy users
2) Conduct an energy audit covering 90% of total energy use and identify possible energy saving opportunities
3) Compile an evidence pack and notify the Environment Agency